Monday, May 10, 2010

Kolob Canyons



I took a day trip to get away from the boring dustbowl of Nevada, about 2 weeks ago...
I was in awe with this picturesque landscape...For some reason it remind me of China with those steep buttes, except this one is red.. The sky was very foggy and cloudy, I thought it was going to rain.. Instead, it was snowing! I was like SNOW??! It just weird, I wasn't expecting snow starting to hit in such an average elevation area. It was a mixture of rain and slushy snow when I driving into it. The weather was totally different than Nevada which is just 120 miles away! It was 20-30 degrees colder, and unusual for Spring Season, even closing into the month of May...
Snow is a rare sight for me (Florida native) and makes me feel like a little kid when I see those lovely white flakes. I didn't have a jacket or sweater with me...lol. It was cold, not freezing though.. The snow was pouring and for a moment I thought it was hail... I never seen snowflakes that are the size of peas bouncing off the hood and windscreen of my car.. It was different. I can hear it falling like someone dropping bunch of round leads on top of my car.

Kolob Canyons Observation point.. The Canyons is part of the Zion National Park and just 20 miles south of Cedar City, Utah.

This sketch was done with ballpoint pen, soft pastel, and sprayed with matte fixture to keep the pastel from smearing.

No comments:

Post a Comment